Don’t ask me what made me think to do this, I was browsing around on Pinterest one day and seen a pin for homemade air fresheners and thought it was cool. I prefer candles over anything, but I figured it was something simple to do and didn’t cost much.
What you need for this project
- Mason Jars
- Food coloring
- Unflavored Gelatine
- 2 cups of Water divided
- Essential Oils
Instructions for this project
- Add a few drops of food coloring to each jar
- Add about 25-30 drops of essential oils to each jar. *Please make sure you get essential oils and not regular extracts for cooking*
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil, and then whisk in 4 packets of unflavored gelatine.
- Add additional 1 cup of water and one tablespoon of salt.
- Immediately pour gelatine mixture into jars and stir to mix with essential oils and coloring.
- Allow to sit overnight for the gelatin to gel up.
You can add extra food coloring drops to each jar to receive the color you prefer; more drops mean a darker color. Although the tops are on the jars in my pictures, I’ve removed them to let the fragrant escape. One of the things you can do is drill holes, or punch holes into the lids to allow the aromatic to escape while leaving the lids on.
*I ended up using extracts for my jars because I didn’t write down the items I needed when I went shopping. The extracts do work, but the fragrant is only as strong as the extract allows.